Monday 24 August 2015

Last Day Saturday 15th - 'I thinks I needs me thinking head today'

Last day despite looking the glider over in ever more detail I still can't identify why the glider doesn't want to go into strong thermals on the right wing.  Given we have a right circle on the start ridge policy this has been something of a handicap all week.

Id been slowly moving the hang point forward 5mm at a time to get the glider to speed up more with flaps off but this hadn't seemed to affect the turn issue. After discussing with the ever knowledgeable Mr Practial Andy Hollidge.  We do a test on the spoilers.  The left wing deploys to 90 degrees however the right stops at 60 degrees.  Sorted. three attempts before they match means tensioning and re-rigging the glider causes one of the tip compression struts to come off which Hamish spots whilst I'm about to put my harness on...Phew.

All the rushing around means I didnt get round to check the course on the large pin board and when I take off and exit the start gate I discover I've also forgotten to activate the task on the compeo.  Dooh...any distraction before a task is just not good.

My start is poor but I manage to catch up and fly out to the ridge in front under a good active cloud, however I'd not thought about what to do on the next leg and piddle around trying to find lift on the way to the last turn point losing height and wasting time.

Despite a few week bitty climbs I'm soon down low in the valley.  A last desperate climb takes me up a gully with just enough height to see nowhere to land on the top...so straight back down the gullytwo beats of the small ridge and I arrive in the landing field which had been nicely sprayed with silage....yum.  Fortunatley the fields are pen and the next one has not been sprayed.  Hamish arrives with the beers and the news that the task has been stopped as we listen to the thunder from behind the Ager ridge.

Tony Moore was last of the club class pilots to fly and won the task by flying the course with the bar pulled in trying to get away from the over abundant lift on the main Ager ridge.  Well done Tony for NOT getting sucked into the cloud!

and they are off...
some height needed
A good climb at last
getting a bit too wispy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment