Tuesday 11 August 2015

Monday 10th - And then they flew

So day 2 appeared much better ...with a 2.10 pm start gate and 5 turn point for 129km it seemed to be achievable so when Hamish asked what sort of time people would be in goal I suggested about 4pm...out of the mouth of fools and babes.

Leaving at 7500 on the first start I doubt if any of us expected how little lift there would be on the Gurp en-route to TP1.  This was going to be a lot harder than expected.  Ask Gordon Wiggy!
Fortunately the big cliffs were working as was the 'if in doubt follow the vultures'.  A good climb at the top of the col was no longer there after the turnpoint and it took a dozen vultures to convince me they knew better where the core was at the far end of the gorge cliffs.

This gave me the height to get to the high point in the corner and another climb.  Meaning I was high enough to risk the jump over the valley to the red cliffs.  Another climb over the intermediate gorge meant I got to the red cliffs over the top.  However playing around in week lift trying to find the good core meant everyone pilling in to the thermal underneath me.  When I felt I had enough height to jump through the gap I left to be overtaken by Andy just before reaching the next ridge.

Climbing to 7k the others left first but I took a more northerly route behind the cliff edge and over the valley behind the crater cliff.  This provided good lift meaning I could go straight past the flexies when they stoped to climb.  Eventually caught Andy on the way back and was around a thousand feet above him when he stopped for a 6up.

I stopped over the top corner to gain height but it wasn't the same as Friday with an 8.6 to 10k... Oh I wish! Gliding to the third turnpoint was moderate but didn't get a singlet blip on the way out so opted for the cautious route and returned to the ridge where I got promptly drilled on the lower and shallows front ridge. Biggest mistake of my day.

Finally getting up enough to go onto the back ridge  Ieventually got a climb back to 7400 and headed for the fourth TP.  This proved moderately bouyant along the route.  A final climb on the return took the required LD to 14:1 and as I was confidant I could clear the next ridge which was the ever reliable crater off to goal it was.

The final TP was well out in the valley and meant crossing the lake which even with an 8:1 required for goal called for a quick gulp...

Just to rub it in the compeo had stopped recording part way through the flight and I had to use the backup from the Kobo/XCSoar.  That delay had cost me dear after being in the lead I was the 4th rigid in after Tim got a stonker to 10K and cruised past me.

Nationals Day 2 Task One



No comments:

Post a Comment