Friday 27 June 2014

What a corker

Yesterday's task was mind blowing, my longest ever flight and first time into the big mountains.

At briefing it looked to be a good choice.  In the air with cloudbase at 8200' it still seemed reasonable.  The run to the first turn point to the south was one we used in our practice and several times last year.  Coming back north the spread out was starting to look worrying.

Going back south after the 2nd turn point the normally reliable Pic de Boef was only just working so I got stuck there for a period.  Eventually climbed out and headed on with absolutely everything in shadow.

Slowly climbing out on the next ridge for the 3rd turn point and everything was grey and it was beginning to look impossible as Paul and myself found ourselves stuck with quite a few people on the same 'small' section of mountain. Oh how your standards change over here!

Finally I get over the top and run down to the turn point.  A slight bit of sunshine and a 2 up at the cylinder which I call out for Paul.  Unfortunately he doesn't have enough height and gets there to find no lift down at his level.  Despite running back he is getting drilled in the valley and ends up landing for 91k.

Another small climb back at the 'small' mountain and I decided to head direct for doussard and take off.  One more slight climb and I reach the ridge immediately behind landing just above the top of the cliff.

Everything is still grey and I decide to follow the ridges back towards Favergé.  In the hope of getting something and then being able to go north on the big mountain range to the Tete du Strop and the 4th turn point.  Nothing presents itself so I try one last hop across the valley to the spur on the north east edge.  Lift, slowly I work my way up to be joined by a PG,  Flying round a corner to a better looking spur and I look back to see him getting higher. Bugger!

However I then hit a good solid 4 up and he and his mate scrabble to get in below me as the majesty of the mountain range I'm about to fly the length of finally reveals itself.

Cruising the range and for the next 25k stopping in any particularly good bits finally I get close to the 4th turn point to see some one coming back south below me.  With both Luke and Andy calling out distances to the last turn point I finally begin to think I have a chance of making this.

However after the turn point the mountain starts to flush me as punishment for my cockiness. Everything is in shade again and nothing is working, as I don't want to land on the high plateau I head out to a tree covered ridge in the sunshine.  There's a PG low on the trees and bits of lift but nothing solid so I head along the spur.  Finally a 4 up and I get joined by another rigid 1500' below me.  Heading to the next turn point at 8400.  I get it and spot someone high and climbing on the spur in front.

It's a bit of a tight little rocket but takes me to 8600'.  Heading south none of the intermediate ridges even blip the Vario so I come in on the spur that leads to the back of La Tournette and slowly make my way up in week lift to the break point at the top where there is a good climb.

I have a 10 to 1 on goal, there's just the problem of this frigging big mountain between me and the last turn point. I opt to go round the front and behind take off as that is the 'in to wind' side even though it's not so direct to the turn point.

Job done! Time to celebrate my longest flight to goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment